These apple carrot and banana muffins are the perfect baby led weaning muffins. They are soft and spongy, easy to make and contain no sugar or salt. Making them the perfect first muffin for babies.
As you read this baby muffin recipe you might think, hey hang on, I thought the rule of thumb was to never over mix a muffin. You are totally right, a traditional muffin should not be over mixed, these baby led weaning muffins, however, are a slightly different style of muffin, they are almost like little sponge drops. It is this soft muffin texture that makes them perfect first finger foods for babies.
These baby weaning muffins are actually made using a beater. I use a small hand held electric beater, but you could use an old school egg beater or a whisk as well. You will just need to whisk vigorously.
Apple Banana and Carrot sweeten these easy baby muffins so there is no need for any added sugar or sweetener for palatability. You can either make these muffins in baby mini muffin tins or in a standard muffin tin. The mix makes 30 mini baby muffins or 12 standard sized muffins. I could imagine with a little bit of healthy frosting these guys would also make gorgeous cupcakes for a baby party.
When preparing the carrot for this recipe, I actually grate it before I cook it, this is so that it will have a more similar cooking time to the apple and therefore I can cook it all in one go in the same pot.
My baby led weaning muffins are not just baby muffins and they are not just for people doing baby led weaning. They are a really simple finger food for any baby 6 months or older. Toddlers love them and my kids who are now 2, 3.5 and 4.5 still love them!
They would hate if I referred to them as baby muffins, so we now call them ABC muffins after the ingredients Apple, Banana, and Carrot. I know, pretty original. ha ha.
Baby Led Weaning Muffins Apple Banana and Carrot
Yield 30 mini muffins
- 150 g Apple peeled, cored and diced, (medium eating apple)
- 100g carrot (1 small-medium)
- 100g Banana (equiv of small bobby banana)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 100g melted butter or oil
- 160g standard flour (1 ¼ cup)
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- Peel and grate carrot, place apple and carrot in a pot with a little water, pop a lid on and simmer until apple soft. Usually 5-6 mins
- While apple and carrot cooking, place banana in a large bowl, mash with a fork
- Add eggs, vanilla, and butter/oil
- Puree the cooked apple and carrot, I use a stick blender
- Add apple and carrot to the other wet ingredients
- Beat these wet ingredients together with a hand held beater, should become smooth, yellow and a little frothy
- Add the flour and baking powder
- Beat for a further 30-60 seconds to make a well-mixed batter
- Portion into an oiled muffin tin (I use a non-stick silicon tray sprayed with oil) Mix makes 12 standard sized muffins or 30 mini muffins
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 mins (350 Fahrenheit)
- These muffins can be stored in an airtight container for 3 days, or they can be frozen.
- To make the recipe dairy free, substitute the melted butter for a mild tasting vegetable oil.