I am such a fan of oats, oats feature in so many of my recipes. Then all of a sudden I realised I’ve never shown some of the ways I serve them for breakfast.
You’ve seen them in my baking, and in my savoury dishes but never my breakfasts ideas.
Well that stops now, today I want to show you how to make baked oats, meet my blueberry and banana baked breakfast oats!
I hummed and harred about what to exactly to call this recipe, the blueberry and banana part of the name was a given, the bit that was actually a bit trickier was the oats.
In some parts of the world people would refer to this recipe as Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal, while in my part of the world New Zealand, we would call it Blueberry Banana Baked Porridge.
So I popped my thinking cap on and went with Baked Breakfast Oats, as I hope everyone can then kind of figure out what the recipe is about from the title!
Baking oats is a nice easy, stir free way to serve hot oats in the morning. I make this recipe with milk, but if you need dairy free then sub in soy milk or a nut milk such as almond.
If you are going to serve this to little ones, under the age of 1 year then substitute the honey for maple syrup.
So the tips to make this an easy no-fuss breakfast. When you wake up, pop on the oven to heat. Make up the porridge recipe, it takes under 5 mins. Bang it in the oven and get on with your morning. 20 mins later, breakfast is ready!
- 2 medium bananas
- 2 Cups quick cook porridge oats
- 2 Cups Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Cup Blueberries (frozen is fine)
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (360 Fahrenheit)
- Grease a baking dish, I use a quick spray of oil
- Slice banana, lay the slices in the bottom of the dish
- Cover the banana with the oats
- Whisk together milk, eggs, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon
- Pour the wet ingredients over the oats
- Scatter the blueberries on top
- Pop into the hot oven and bake for 20-25 mins (until the oats have absorbed the liquid)
- Serve as is, or with a little extra milk
- To make this recipe dairy free, you can use soy milk, a nut milk or rice milk
- If serving to under ones, substitute the honey for maple syrup or brown sugar
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 210Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 74mgSodium 104mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 3gSugar 13gProtein 9g