I will not lie my kids LOVE muffins, and I think as long as they are loaded with nutritious things and not too much sugar then they are fine by me.
These Apple and Date Muffins are sweetened with fruit and made with Wheat Biscuits which really ups the fibre content.
I want to say a big thank you to Countdown for not only supporting my blog and making this post possible but by continually increasing the number of products they have on Price Lockdown.
Price Lockdown products make up a huge part of my weekly shop and help stick to my weekly shopping budget.
A giant 1 kg box of Wheat Biscuits is locked down at only $2.50 which makes them super affordable.
In this recipe, I use apple puree to sweeten the muffin. You can either cook your own apples and blend them, which I often do. OR, if you need a little bit of a shortcut then have a look for a jar of no added sugar applesauce. Select no added sugar applesauce from Countdown is also on price lockdown at $1.50 a jar
- 4 Wheat biscuits crushed
- 1.5 cups plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 360g apple puree or unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 apple grated
- ½ cup dates chopped (optional)
I have made a quick recipe video for this recipe, be sure to watch it
- In one bowl mix the crushed wheat biscuits, flour and baking powder
- In a second bowl whisk the egg, applesauce, and vanilla together
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, Add the grated apple and dates as well, mix to combine
- Either grease a muffin tray very well or use muffin liners
- Portion the mix into the muffin tin
- Bake at 180-200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes, the muffins may need a further 5 or so minutes, but be sure to check them after 20 minutes
- For this recipe, I used Countdown Select Wheat Biscuits
- Dates are optional, you could substitute for another dried fruit or leave out entirely
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 184Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 16mgSodium 184mgCarbohydrates 34gFiber 3gSugar 11gProtein 4g