You have not been a kid unless at some stage you have enjoyed rice bubble slice or depending on where you are from a rice Krispie treat. The thing kids love most about it is the crunch that the puffed rice cereal gives it.
My no-bake rice bubble and oat slice keeps the rice bubble crunch, but ditches a fair bit of the sugar and adds in some oats to make its energy a little longer lasting.
No-bake slices are so quick and easy, this rice bubble and oat slice require around 5-7 minutes of prep, but to tell the truth I reckon I can bang one out sub-four minutes now.
5 ingredients are all you need and there are a few substitutions you can make in this no-bake slice.
I use butter but you can substitute this for coconut oil if you wish to make the no-bake rice bubble and oat slice dairy free. Other unsaturated oils don’t work well in this slice as they need to be relatively solid at room temperature to hold the slice together. So I just stick with butter, but feel free to use something else
I use peanut butter in this recipe, you can substitute any nut butter, or sunflower seed butter if you need the no-bake rice bubble and oat slice to be nut free.
If no-bake slices are right up your alley, I have a few more on my site, which also use breakfast cereal staples. My no-bake chocolate Weetbix slice is a fudgy no bake slice for any one needing a chocolate hit, and with only 3 ingredients my no-bake apricot Weetbix slice is one of the easiest recipes around.
If you are looking for a more allergy-friendly traditional rice bubble slice which is perfect for parties, check out my Rice Bubble Slice recipe, it provides alternatives for nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan
- 30g butter
- 3 Tbsp Honey (45ml)
- 1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (120g)
- 2 Cups puffed rice cereal
- 1 Cup Oats
- In a large saucepan melt honey and butter
- Add the peanut butter and melt into this mixture, this will not take long, you just want the peanut butter to melt into the honey mix, but you do not want to cook it, so watch and stir then remove from the heat. If you over cook the peanut butter you will end up with a crumbly slice
- Add the Puffed rice cereal/ rice bubbles and oats
- Press into a baking paper lined tin
- Refrigerate for 4hrs
- Slice, I usually slice into 12, these are quite large portions, you could go smaller depending on your kid's age and appetite
- I store this slice either in the fridge or the freezer
- You can substitute butter for coconut oil, it needs to be an oil that solidifies when cool
- In NZ our tablespoons are 15 mls which is smaller than some countries. Australian tablespoons for example are 20mls
- Our cups are standard size though, 250ml
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 141Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 5mgSodium 80mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 2gSugar 5gProtein 4g