This recipe is so easy. It has been a life saver for me on many occasions. Preparation time is minimal. It is packed with vegetable content and is made with everyday ingredients you probably have in your fridge and freezer.
Oh and one last thing that makes this spinach and cottage cheese pie a winner! You don’t even have to chop anything! You just put everything in a food processor!
My favourite spinach and cottage cheese pie recipe
- 2 sheets puff pastry ( I used Edmonds, store bought)
- 250 g cottage cheese
- 3 Eggs
- 200g Frozen spinach (defrosted)
- 1 Cup grated cheddar cheese
- Seasoning (½ Teaspoon Nutmeg, Salt and Pepper to taste)
- Grease and then line the bottom of a loaf tin with the pastry
- Get out a food processor. Add all other ingredients. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the spinach mixture into your pie dish
- Top with pasty. I often use a lattice design, but you can do what ever you want. One easy way to do it is to just use cookie cutters (or playdough cutters) to take shapes out of a sheet of pastry for the top
- If you have time or the inclination glaze the pastry with either egg yolk (I never do this) or milk, (I sometimes do this)
- Bake at 200 degrees celsius for 35 minutes or until pastry is golden
- Leave too cool at least 15 mins before slicing/serving. If you slice it too early the filling can be a little watery.. be patient and it will set nice and firm as it cools down
You could also add pine nuts to this recipe, and/or swap out some of the cheddar for feta
Note: I used a relatively small pie dish for this recipe (20 cm Diameter) It made enough for 2 adults and 3 preschoolers with some bits and pieces on the side. If you are wanting to make a bigger pie you will need to scale the recipe up accordingly)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 178mgSodium: 645mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 21g
Please know this nutrition analysis is based on the ingredients only, this recipe has not been sent to a laboratory for independent testing