This easy chicken curry for kids is loaded with veggies thanks to a little trick I do involving a can of coconut milk and raw cauliflower. It’s absolutely loved by my three kiddos so is a regular on my meal roster.
This chicken curry uses my curry for kids spice mix as a base, although you could totally use the coconut milk cauliflower hack in any curry you are making.
Boosting Veggie Content in a Curry For Kids
This Chicken curry recipe uses one of my favourite little hacks for upping the veggie content in a curry. It just involves blending raw cauliflower into coconut milk or coconut cream and adding that to the curry.
The little video below will show you how smooth and creamy it goes even when just using raw cauliflower.
Kid-friendly sides to serve with curry
My kids absolutely love curry nights. Partly I think because of the sides I serve with the curry.
None of the sides take much time to prepare but my kids love them
- Coconut Bananas: I slice bananas and provide a bowl of desiccated coconut. My kids love to dip the bananas into the coconut and devour them
- Long cucumber sticks: For some reason the longer you can cut your cucumber batons the more enticing they seem to kids
- Yoghurt: plain unsweetened yoghurt or greek yoghurt
- Rice: Becuase kids love rice…I’ll be honest, I hate the mess they make with it, but they love it
- Nuts: I serve a bowl of nuts most often cashews for the kids to add to their curry
The great thing about these sides is, even if the kids end up only eating the sides and no actual curry, well, they’ve actually probably had not too bad of a meal!
I am an ambassador for Countdown New Zealand this means they support my blog by gifting ingredients for recipe creation. I used Essentials tomato paste handy 50g sachets and essentials coconut milk in this recipe, both of which were gifted by Countdown NZ
- 600g chicken breast
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 brown onion
- 2-3 Tbsp curry spice mix for kids
- 50g tomato paste
- 200g pumpkin (approx ¼ of a small pumpkin)
- 200g carrot approx 2 medium carrots
- 150g cauliflower approx ¼ small
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 good handfuls baby spinach
- For this recipe you will need my curry spice mix for kids as well
- Prepare chicken, dice into 2cm cubes
- Prepare the vegetables, finely dice onions, grate carrots and dice pumpkin into 1-2cm cubes
- Prepare the cauliflower coconut milk. Roughly chop the cauliflower, blend the coconut milk together until smooth. I use my nutribullet to do this
- Heat oil in a large pan (that has a lid), sauté onion until softened and just starting to become golden.
- Add tomato paste and spice mix to the onion, cook for a minute or 2 until fragrant
- Add the carrot and pumpkin, stir so they are coated in the paste and spice mix
- Add the blended coconut and cauliflower, chicken stock and cubed chicken, stir and bring to a simmer
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until veggies tender and chicken cooked
- Remove lid and stir through the spinach, vinegar and soy sauce
- Serve with steamed rice and maybe some of the sides like coconut bananas I have described above
If you don't have or wish to use my curry spice mix for kids, you could use any curry powder or curry paste you have on hand
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 409Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 14gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 91mgSodium 341mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 3gSugar 5gProtein 37g
Please know this nutrition analysis is based on the ingredients only, this recipe has not been sent to a laboratory for independent testing