Strangely enough, I find curries a particularly successful meal at my house. Even with my resident fussy eater. So in an effort to add a few quick curry recipes to my site, I thought I would start with an easy curry spice mix for kids. The idea being you make the spice mix, and then you have the base for a number of different recipes.
My Curry Spice Mix For Kids
I have one kiddo who is very chili averse, so this spice mix isn’t hot at all but still very flavourful, it’s also a bit sweet and probably not overly authentic. But that’s ok by me as long as my kids like it. It’s I suppose what you might call a ‘yellow’ spice mix due to the turmeric, but again I use the term very loosely as I assume if a curry aficionado was to read this spice mix recipe they may crawl up into the fetal position. But, the goal with this spice mix wasn’t to create necessarily the most authentic curry. It was to create a base for quick and easy curries for my kids and perhaps your family too.
Curry For Kids
As I said the plan is to share a number of family-friendly recipes all starting with this spice mix as a base. So far on the site
- Chicken Curry – A veggie-loaded recipe including my coconut milk and cauliflower hack!
- Creamy Curry Mince – An easy economical recipe my kids absolutely love, recipe coming next week
- Easy Fish Curry recipe coming soon
- Curried Kumara (Sweet Potato) Soup recipe coming soon
- Mango Chicken Curry – A toddler approved curry. This recipe is not based on this spice mix, but it is one that is both very popular with my kids and from what I’ve been told by my readers too.
- 6 Tbsp ground coriander
- 3 Tbsp cumin powder
- 3 Tbsp Turmeric
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp paprika (sweet not smokey)
- Place all the spices in an airtight jar
Store in the airtight container at room temperature
Nutrition InformationYield 20 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 17 Total Fat 1g Saturated Fat 0g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 20mg Carbohydrates 3g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 1g Sugar 0g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 1g