This healthy homemade chocolate milk has been a go-to recipe for me over the past few weeks. I call it “fill them up” chocolate milk, as the oats in it really do fill them up for that bit longer than store-bought chocolate milk.
Why the need for a healthy homemade chocolate milk recipe?
About 6 weeks ago I had a baby. A wee girl joined our family, so I am now the mum of 4 kids. Anywho looking after a newborn makes you quite busy, and do you know the hardest thing about looking after toddlers and kids when you have a newborn? Well, it’s dealing with HANGRY toddlers and kids when trying to look after a newborn. By HANGRY I mean hungry kids who are so hungry that they are angry and grumpy too, ie H-ANGRY.
So since Esme (my newest addition) has been born, I’ve been making a point of giving my other kids a really good afternoon tea. An after-school snack that is probably larger than I would usually give them, but something that makes sure they won’t be hangry in that build up to dinner time.
Because at this time in my life, I just don’t have time for HANGRY!
When is it a Healthy Chocolate Milk recipe and when is it a Chocolate Smoothie recipe
Who knows, the two things are probably one and the same. With the oats and fruit, this homemade chocolate milk is probably more of a smoothie. But my kids like to call it chocolate milk, so we will run with that!
I find smoothies great for getting energy quickly into a HANGRY toddler. I have a few smoothie recipes already on my site, you will find a list below, all have been kid tested and kid approved.
Kid approved healthy smoothie recipes
- 4 x fruit & vegetable smoothies my kids love
- Breakfast smoothies
- Healthy homemade strawberry milkshake
- Christmas layered smoothie
- 2 medium bananas (200g)
- ½ cup rolled oats (50g)
- 1 Tbsp cocoa (unsweetened)
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1-1.5 cups milk
- Blend all ingredients together until completely smooth. I use a Nutribullet to do this, it takes around 1.5-2 minutes
- as an alternative to maple syrup you could use honey, date syrup, any liquid sweetener really
- This recipe will work with cows milk or any milk alternative
- A spoonful of nut butter also boosts the nutrition.