Since Christmas we have been living in what seems like the land of popcorn. The kids were given a popcorn maker by their aunty and to say it’s been a winner is an understatement. Plain popcorn is a pretty great snack. No nasties, but I thought I would see if I could turn it into more of a sustaining snack. And maybe a bit less messy, because honestly, I am a bit sick of finding popcorn everywhere!
My Cheesy Popcorn Bites
All I did was add cheese, and it has been a winner. Sorting out the ingredients wasn’t hard but I did have to play around a bit to create a recipe that holds together kind of like a cracker (but not). What I learnt is you need to blitz the popcorn a bit, ie you need to break it down just a touch, so that when you add the cheese it holds together.
So essentially you blitz the popcorn and the cheese, bake it in a silicon muffin tray and boom! You have a snack, party food or lunch box item!
- 4 Cups popcorn (popped)
- 1 Cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- Place cheese and popcorn into a food processor, pulse
- Pulse the mix until the popcorn begins to break down so the biggest pieces are around 1cm in diameter (some bits will be much smaller)
- Spoon this mix into silicon muffin tray, fill the tray nice an full as the popcorn will shrink on baking
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 8-10 mins, cheese should be golden and bubbling
- Remove from oven, leave to cool in the tray
- Remove from tray and store in an air tight container for up to 3 days.