If ever there has been a day that calls for a bowl of comforting creamy chicken pasta soup, then today was that day.
Life has been a little rough in our house for the past few days, turns out we have a house full of strep throat, which meant unwell kids and high temps. Everyone is on the mend now though.
The illness coupled with the cold snap that swept through New Zealand today meant today was the perfect day to make yet another batch of soup for the kids, get it photographed and up on the blog!
Soup For Kids
This creamy chicken soup was the launching pad for my kids and soup. It’s kind of soup with training wheels, soup for the kid who thinks they don’t like soup! The secret weapon is the pasta. The pasta is the training wheels.. because most kids love pasta!
If you have kids who aren’t into soup, but you are, I think the trick to get them started is to incorporate something they like into the soup. Something like pasta or rice.
The other reason for incorporating these sorts of things into a soup recipe for kids is because quite simply it can make it easier to eat.
Soup can be tricky for kids, especially thin soups as it can be hard to scoop up. This chicken soup is thick and creamy and has the pasta which makes it easy to get on the spoon.
So the kids love this soup, but I also love this creamy chicken soup, I love it, as there is no pre-cooking of any of the parts, not even the pasta, it all just cooks in the one pot, making it wondrously easy.
I also love it as it is economical. So a great dish to pop on your meal plan when you want to keep food costs low!
Previously on My Kids Lick The Bowl
- One week ago: chicken pasta bake loaded with vegetables
- One month ago: one tray sausage and apple bake
- Three months ago: apple oat pancakes
- Six months ago: my ultimate hidden vegetable lasagne
- One Year ago: easy chicken corn noodle soup
- Two Years ago: healthy macaroni and cheese
- 120g onion (1 large)
- 120g carrot (2 medium)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 4 cups stock (1L)
- 2 cups milk (5oomL
- 350g chicken
- 250g uncooked pasta
- 150g frozen peas (1.5 Cups)
- Dice the onions and carrot
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan
- Add the onion and carrot and saute for approx 5 mins
- Add the flour and cook this off for 2 minutes, ensuring the veggies all get coates
- Add the stock and milk, bring the mix up to a simmer
- Dice the chicken (1cm cubes) Add the chicken and poach at a low simmer for 10 mins
- Add the uncooked pasta and cook for a few minutes less than the suggested cooking time (this will vary depending on the size and shape of pasta you are using)
- Add the frozen peas, Check the consistency of the soup at this stage, if it has thickened more than you would like thin down with a little more stock. Cook for 1-2 minutes to ensure the peas are heated through
- Season with salt and pepper if needed
- The butter can be substituted for oil if you prefer
- Celery can be added at the same stage as the carrots and onion (I dislike celery though)
- Sliced button mushrooms are nice in this as well, I often add a handful of them after the onions and carrot have had a few minutes to sauté but before the flour has been added
- Personally I have not made this recipe with anything other than cows milk, but it should also work with alternative milks
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 282mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g
Please know this nutrition analysis is based on the ingredients only, this recipe has not been sent to a laboratory for independent testing