These mango chicken bites have a nice soft texture and the fruit flavours make them a very kid friendly recipe! I also like that they contain some veggies. My kiddos quite like meat balls in their lunchbox as well. If we are having these mango chicken bites for dinner I would serve them with rice and veggies or I have made them into a rissole shape and served them as burgers.
I must confess the baking in a muffin tray was not my idea at all, I totally borrowed it from Kylie of Kidgredients, she uses it in her baked mini meatballs and since I learnt this technique for baking meatballs it has been my go to, as it is so much easier than frying them.
I typically use frozen mango for making these chicken meatballs as in New Zealand Mangos can be expensive. However last week they were on special at my local supermarket so it was nice to use fresh and have a mango hedgehog in the photo! Mango is a yummy fruit for cooking with, my Mango Chicken Curry is always a hit too!
These baked mango chicken bites are part of my allergy-friendly recipe collection, these recipes are free from the top 8 food allergens: Dairy, wheat, egg, soy, peanut, tree nuts, fish & crustaceans
Baked Mango Chicken Bites
Yield 20 Balls
- 1 Cup oats 100g
- 100ml coconut milk
- 50g carrot
- 30g onion
- 75g mango cubes (fresh or frozen)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 200g chicken mince
- Soak 1/2 Cup of oats in the coconut milk, for around 10mins
- In a food processor blitz carrot and onion until finely chopped
- Add mango, soaked oats, turmeric and chicken mince, pulse to combine
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of oats, pulse to combine
- Season with salt and pepper if you wish, exclude the salt if serving to young children
- The mixture will be quite wet, but makes for a soft style meatball
- Spray a non-stick mini muffin tray with oil
- Using a spoon and wet hands take spoonfuls of the meat mixture, roll into rough balls then place into the muffin tray.
- Bake for 25 mins at 180 degrees Celsius or 360 Fahrenheit
This recipe is wheat free but not gluten free if using traditional oats.