Kids love cookies, that goes without saying, my goal is to find foods my kids already love and make them that bit healthier. These Fruit Sweetened Cookies are just the ticket.
I’ve made fruit sweetened cookies in the past such as my apple and oat breakfast cookie recipe, but they have contained peanut butter. Which means for many people they can’t be sent in the school lunchbox.
This recipe is nut free, kid approved and super easy to make from really basic ingredients.
Fruit Sweetened Cookie Recipe Notes
These fruit sweetened cookies are pretty healthy, the tradeoff is that they do not have a super long shelf life. Over time they do become dry. They are great fresh on the day they are baked, especially if still a little warm from the oven.
They are also perfect the next day if they have been stored in an airtight container. If I am wanting them to last longer than this, then I pop them in the freezer.
A pop a frozen cookie in a lunchbox and they are perfect once the kids are ready for morning break at kindy.
Fruit Sweetened Cookies
Yield 20 cookies
- 2 Eggs
- 2 small bananas (or equiv.)
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened applesauce/apple purée, I just cook my own apples for this
- 1/2 Cup desiccated coconut
- 2 Cups rolled oats
- Heat oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Place all ingredients into a food processor
- Whiz until an even consistency is achieved, it will not be completely smooth
- Line a baking sheet with baking paper or a silicone baking sheet
- Place spoonfuls on to the baking paper, with the back of the spoon shape them into circles
- Bake for 20 mins at 180 degrees celsius
As these cookies contain very little fat, they are best eaten fresh or the following day. The do start to become dry, although you can freeze them and pop them in the lunchbox frozen to defrost on the way to school
If you are looking for low sugar healthier cookies, I have one other recipe which could just be up your alley.
Nothing is better than a chocolate chip cookie, and these healthy chocolate chip cookies actually taste delicious while still packing a nutritional punch!
Fruit Sweetened Cookies be sure to Pin them For Later