This zucchini banana bread healthy version is one of my favourite recipes at the moment.
At My Kids Lick The Bowl my goal isn’t to create no sugar recipes, but, it is to take traditional kid favourites like banana bread and recreate/tweak them to be lower in sugar and a little bit more nutritious while still delicious
Banana bread is a crowd pleaser, and this Zucchini Banana Bread Healthy Recipe stands up well.
I reduced the added sugar significantly compared to standard banana bread this zucchini banana bread has only 1/4 cup of added sugar per loaf which is pretty good.
I added Zucchini for some veggie factor so there is a 50:50 ratio of banana to zucchini and I added blueberries because blueberries are always fun!
In this healthy zucchini banana bread with blueberries, I also swapped half of the wheat flour for oats, as I love the slow release oats provides.
Low sugar recipes, particularly those sweetened with either fruit and veggies, are popular on my site, my low-sugar muffins being some of the most viewed.
- 1 cup standard flour
- 1 cup oats
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 200g zucchini grated (2 med)
- 200g banana mashed (2 small/med)
- 2 eggs
- 150g plain unsweetened yoghurt
- 1 Cup blueberries
- In a large bowl, place the 4 dry ingredients, with a fork give them a rough mix so that they are evenly dispersed
- Squeeze as much liquid from the grated zucchini as you can
- Add the zucchini, banana, eggs, and yoghurt, mix until combined
- Add 1/2 cup of blueberries (reserving the other 1/2 cup) and mix through
- Pour into a lined and greased loaf tin
- Place the remaining blueberries on to the top of the uncooked mixture
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius (360 Fahrenheit) for 40-45 minutes, until firm and golden
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and cooling on a rack
- Serve sliced as a loaf/cake or serve with yoghurt and fruit
- The brown sugar can be substituted for any sugar
- If the bananas are very ripe, you may be able to get away with no sugar and still have a palatable result
- I grate my zucchini finely for this recipe if you have children who will be put off by the little flecks of green, peel your zucchini before grating it
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1470Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 381mgSodium: 1008mgCarbohydrates: 281gFiber: 22gSugar: 99gProtein: 50g
Please know this nutrition analysis is based on the ingredients only, this recipe has not been sent to a laboratory for independent testing