Quite simply these are the easiest vanilla cupcakes around, a recipe so easy I reckon it rivals the packet cupcake mixes for simplicity!
Perfect for a birthday party or when a little bit of a treat is needed, your family will love these vanilla glazed vanilla cupcakes with sprinkles.
Why This Recipe Works
- 6 everyday ingredients (for the cupcakes), plus one more to make the glaze.
- Simple method: Dump and beat!
- Makes the very best vanilla cupcakes with sprinkles
Ingredients you will need
To make my vanilla cupcakes with a vanilla glaze you will need:
- self-raising flour
- Vanilla extract
- caster sugar
- icing sugar
- a little more milk
- a bit more butter
- a touch more vanilla extract
Ingredient Notes and Substitutes
- Self-raising flour: this can be substituted for 1 ¼ cups plain flour with 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder.
- Caster sugar: I find you get a slightly better cupcake if you use caster sugar which is finer than regular sugar, however, regular sugar will also be ok too.
- Butter: This recipe will work with a full-fat margarine
- Milk: This recipe will work with any plant-based milk.
I am an ambassador for Countdown supermarket, they support my blog by providing ingredients for recipe creation and testing. I used self-raising flour and butter from their range in this recipe.
Below are illustrated step-by-step instructions to make my Vanilla Cupcake Recipe, if you prefer just the written instructions then head straight to the printable recipe card below.
How to make vanilla cupcakes
Prep: Heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, (160 degrees if using a fan-forced oven.)
Lightly whisk your eggs
Step one: Add all the ingredients including the whisked eggs a large mixing bowl. Mix on slow until the ingredients are combined.
Step two: Increase the speed to medium and beat for approximately 2 minutes until the cupcake batter is pale and creamy.
Step three: Portion into 12 cupcake cases, they should be around two-thirds full.
Step four: Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. When cooked the cupcakes will have risen, be golden in colour and when you insert a skewer into the centre it will come out clean
How to make a vanilla glaze for cupcakes
Step five: The glaze is simple to make, place all the vanilla glaze ingredients into a bowl and whisk, and keep whisking until you have a smooth spreadable glaze.
Step six: If the glaze is a little thin add more icing sugar a tablespoon at a time, if the glaze is too thick add more milk 1 teaspoon at a time.
Step seven: Use a knife or spatula to spread the vanilla glaze onto the cupcakes, then sprinkle with sprinkles! (The glaze will harden over time, a bit like the glaze you see on glazed doughnuts).
Here is how you can make these vanilla glazed vanilla cupcakes perfectly every time!
Don't overfill the cupcake cases! Trust me when I say to only fill the cupcakes ⅔ full, if you go for more you run the risk of overblown misshapen cupcakes. It's better to make a couple of extra cupcakes with any leftover batter than it is to make cupcakes that are too full!
Once glazed the cupcakes will store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Plain vanilla cupcakes (unglazed) will freeze well in an airtight container for up to four months.
Related recipes section
This is a traditional vanilla cupcake, which can be made dairy free by substituting butter and milk for plant-based alternatives. If you need your cupcakes to be egg, dairy and gluten-free then try my vegan vanilla cupcakes.
If you made my Vanilla Cupcakes With Vanilla Glaze and Sprinkles Recipe or any other recipes on the blog please :
Vanilla Glazed Cupcakes
- 2 eggs
- 185 grams self-raising flour 1 ¼ cups
- 125 grams butter softened
- 120 grams caster sugar ½ cup
- 80 mililitres milk One-third of a cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 150 grams icing sugar 1 cup
- 1 ½ Tablespoons milk 22.5 ml
- 1 Tablepsoon butter (softened) 15 grams
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles as many as your heart desires
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius, (160 degrees if using a fan forced oven.)
- Lightly whisk the eggs.
- Add all the ingredients including the whisked eggs into a large mixing bowl. Mix on slow until the ingredients are combined.
- Increase the speed to medium and beat for approximately 2 minutes until the cupcake batter is pale and creamy.
- Portion into 12 cupcake cases, they should be around two thirds full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. When cooked the cupcakes will have risen, and be golden in colour and when you insert a skewer into the centre it will come out clean.
- Once your cupcakes are cool you can glaze them. The vanilla glaze is simple to make, place all the vanilla glaze ingredients into a bowl and whisk, keep whisking until you have a smooth spreadable glaze.
- If the glaze is a little thin, add more icing sugar a tablespoon at a time. if the glaze is too thick add more milk 1 teaspoon at a time. Your goal is a spreadable consistency.
- Use a knife or spatula to spread the vanilla glaze onto the cupcakes, then sprinkle with sprinkles! (The glaze will harden over time, a bit like the glaze you see on glazed doughnuts).