This one-pan Mexican mince and rice meal is a favourite of my families. A favourite of mine too, mainly because it all cooks in one pan.
Actually hang on there are a few other reasons why I like this one-pan Mexican mince and rice recipe, besides the fact that it all cooks in one pan. I also like it because I can cook once but have enough for 2 slightly different meals. On the first night, I serve the Mexican mince and rice dish in a bowl with perhaps some guacamole. For night 2, I serve it as a filling for wraps, if we have eaten more than half on night one, then I bulk it out a bit with beans. My kids don’t mind black beans mixed into it.
So that’s 2 reasons I like this recipe, the third reason I like this recipe is because it is loaded with veggies, loads, and loads of veggies go into this one-pan Mexican mince and rice dish and my kiddos still gobble it down!
The big secret for upping the veggie content of this recipe is a savoury smoothie I make using tinned tomatoes and spinach! I use this trick along with a few others in my ultimate hidden vegetable lasagne Can you see all those veggies in the picture below, all of them end up cooked into this dish.
One-Pan Mexican Mince and Rice
Yield 2 Family Meals
- 1 large Onion
- 500g mince
- Mexican seasoning
- 2 carrots (200g)
- 2 x 400g cans tomatoes
- 1/2 bag of spinach, 80g (you can use frozen too)
- 1 Cup rice
- 1 Cup water
- 1 Cup Corn (frozen totally fine)
- Saute onion, add mince and seasoning, cook until browned
- add grated carrots, cook for a bit while you do the next step
- Take 1 can of tomatoes and the spinach, blend them ie make a savory smoothie with them, (yes it will look gross but trust me)
- Add the smoothie to the pan
- Add the other can of tomatoes to the pan
- Add the rice and water
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add the corn
- Cover and simmer for another 5-10 mins, liquid should be absorbed and rice tender
Serve as is, maybe with some guacamole, and salsa on topSave the leftovers. Serve the leftovers as a wrap, with salad fillings, you can bulk it our further with beans if you ate a bit much the first night