September is better breakfast month. So what better place to start than healthy toast toppings! Lets face it kids love toast, and toast can be really healthy if done well.
White thick toast slices with jam and honey may not be a great way to start the day. I just finished writing up a post Why jam may not be a healthy way to start the day.
But fear not there are some easy, healthy and great toast ideas coming your way!
Making toast healthy for children
These ideas are not ground breaking or earth shattering, in fact I have even seen some of them used in a great healthy bagel topping article from Grace at Eats Amazing
The thing with improving kids breakfasts, is we don’t need to be fancy or flash or incredibly inventive to come up with things that are just great ideas.
Start with a good bread
The first place is to start with a great bread. Look for whole grains, low salt and lastly my top tip for choosing bread for kids… is too choose a sandwich/thin sliced loaf.
I would rather my kids be fuelling up on great toppings than filling up on the bread itself. You can read more on choosing a good bread for kids right here.
Simple kid friendly healthy toast toppings
Lets start with 4 of the most simple healthy toast topping ideas
- Cottage cheese
- Peanut butter (or any nut butter): A good no added sugar peanut butter with either no or low added salt is easy to find and loved by kids
- Scrambled eggs
Savoury kid friendly healthy toast toppings
Still simple but with vegetables too
- Hummus with sliced cucumber
- Homemade sugar free tomato sauce with grilled cheese. Making homemade tomato sauce is super easy, you can even make it with canned tomatoes. Find my recipe here
Sweet but low in sugar healthy toast toppings
- Cottage cheese with thinly sliced strawberries
- Peanut butter with sliced banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon
- My nut free healthy chocolate spread with banana
- Chia seed jam (I will be writing about my experiences with chia seed jam soon, I am officially a convert!)