Emergency Brownies. The quickest, most fail safe recipe I know. Need a pick me up? Need a birthday treat for your husband? Need a gift for a friend? Need to make something for a bake sale? Emergency Brownies: The answer to so many first world problems! A million flavour options possible from one base recipe, don’t like chocolate, don’t eat gluten? don’t worry this recipe is still for you. This recipe is in no way shape or form an everyday health food. It’s quite possibly healthy for your spirit though.
- 125g butter
- 1/4 Cup cocoa
- 1 Cup sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 Cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2-1 Cup frozen blueberries
- Melt butter in a saucepan
- Add cocoa and ‘cook’ for 1-2 minutes while stirring. The cooking brings out the chocolately goodness in the flavour.
- Remove from heat, stir in sugar
- Beat in eggs one at a time. Beat well between each addition, the mixture should become nice and glossy
- Add almonds and vanilla, mix/beat well
- Add flour and baking powder (I don’t even bother to sift them, I just sprinkle the baking powder over the flour), mix well
- Pour into a baking paper lined loaf tin
- Add the frozen blueberries on top, gently pushing them into the surface of the mix
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 30-35 minutes. You want the surface to just start cracking. (be careful not to over cook them, if you over cook them they loose their gooey chewiness and can become a bit dry)
This recipe is so flexible. Here are some ideas to change it up!
- Gluten free: as this recipe has a relatively low amount of flour you can pretty much swap standard flour for any flour. Rice flour, GF Baking Flour all work brilliantly. Spelt flour also works but note spelt is not gluten free. You can even swap the flour out for extra ground almonds, it just makes a heavier brownie.
- Nut free: Swap out the almonds for desiccated coconut. Even if it is not for allergy reasons, the coconut version is equally as delicious
- Blueberries are optional: You can leave them out completely or swap to another berry
- Go Citrus: Ditch the cocoa and add TBSP lemon juice and 2 Tsp lemon zest at step 5. (If you are going for a lemon inspired brownie you can stick with the almonds or try coconut as an alternative
- Go Jaffa: Add 2 TBSP Orange Juice and 2 tsp orange zest at step 5.
- Go Nuts: Add extra whole nuts, almonds, walnuts, cashews, macadamia, what ever your heart desires. (add around 1/2 a Cup)
- Add MORE Chocolate: I sometimes stud the top with chocolate chunks. My Husband likes blueberries with white chocolate.