THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS.
A delicious vegetarian family meal that kids will love to help prepare. A great low cost meal with simple everyday ingredients.
- ½ Butternut squash
- 250g Cottage Cheese (I use cottage cheese with chives for extra flavour with no extra hassle)
- 250g Pasta (Dry: Extra large shells Cannelloni tubes or Fresh: Lasagne sheets). Note if you are using fresh pasta the weight will be higher
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic
- 600g Jar Passata
- Your preferred herbs (mixed herbs, basil, oregano, thyme all work well)
- ½ -1 Cup grated cheese
- ¼ Cup pumpkin seeds
- Halve a butternut squash by slicing length ways, scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Bake for 30-45 mins until very tender. (I usually do this step the day before, say if I am cooking a roast chicken for dinner).
- Scoop out the soft squash from the skin, place in a bowl and allow to cool
- Add the cottage cheese to the squash and mash. This is your filling
- If you are using dried pasta cook as per the packet directions
- Fill your pasta shells or cannelloni tubes (a great kids job). If you are using lasagne sheets, I turn them into home made cannelloni tubes. i.e. Lie a sheet down, spread the filling in a line at one end of the sheet, roll it and cut it off from the main sheet. I then repeat until I have a number of home made rolls
- Fill a large baking dish with your filled pasta. (to prevent sticking it can be a good idea to first spread a very thin layer of the sauce mixture at the bottom of the dish before adding your pasta.
- Heat oil in a pan, sauté onion until translucent and fragrant
- Add garlic, sauté for a further 1-2 mins
- Add Passata
- Add any herbs that you like
- Gently simmer for around 10mins
- Pour the sauce over top of your pasta
- Sprinkle on the cheese and pumpkin seeds
- Bake for 30 mins at 180 degrees celsius until nice and golden