I use the term non-alcoholic mulled wine loosely, as to be honest this is really just a recipe for warm spiced juice!
But it made my kids feel special and is perfect for Wintery holidays such as Matariki in Aotearoa or Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy, there is literally just 3 steps
- A special drink for kids on speical days.
- Mānawatia a Matariki – Adorned with star anise it is perfect to have honour Matariki
Ingredients you will need
To make non-alcoholic mulled wine you will need dark grape juice, apple juice, cinnamon sticks, and whole star anise. I also serve the mock mulled wine with orange slices.
Juices: I used a combination of dark grape juice and apple juice, but you could come up with any dark red combination your kids will like, cranberry and pomegranate juices would work as well.
Step by step instructions
Below are illustrated step-by-step instructions to make non-alcoholic mulled wine, if you prefer just the written instructions then head straight to the printable recipe card below
Step one: Pop the juices and spices (cinnamon and star anise) in either a large saucepan or slow cooker
Step two: Simmer for 20 minutes on the stovetop, or leave to mull and develop flavours in your slow cooker on low for an hour, you can then switch the slow cooker to keep warm.
Serve: Garnish with orange slices and serve
Tip: To watch Matariki rise at dawn, you can pop this non-alcoholic wine in your slow cooker on ‘keep warm’ mode for the night, it will be perfect at dawn
Matariki Recipe Ideas
Next year 2022 Matariki will become a public holiday in Aotearoa (New Zealand) it is the perfect time for friends and family to come together, share kai (food) and reflect on the year to come. This non-alcoholic mulled wine is perfect to make for tamariki (children)
- Matariki Pae Kūmara – Sweet Potato Pie is perfect to make and share with whānau (family)
- Galaxy iced cookies are a great baking project you can do with tamariki.
- My special hot chocolate is the perfect drink to take outside when you are star gazing and even better if you add star-shaped hot chocolate toppers
Non-alcoholic mulled wine
- 1 L dark grape juice
- 500 mL apple juice
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 6 star anise
- 1 orange
- Pop the juices and spices (cinnamon and star anise) in either a large saucepan or slow cooker
- Simmer for 20 minutes on the stove top, or leave to mull and develop flavours in your slow cooker on low for an hour, you can then swtich the slow cooker to keep warm
- Garnish with orange slices and serve