I’m not sure about you but I LOVE mandarin season.
Actually I should probably stop there and check that everyone calls them mandarins. I have a sneaking suspicion that in other parts of the world they could be called satsumas.
Anyway I do love mandarins, BUT I do find that we end up with a heap of them all at once.
This made me think up ways of using them in recipes. I mean they are citrus fruit, so surely I should be able to use them in the same sort of way I would an orange.
So thats how I ended up with with this mandarin maple and date muffin recipe
Ingredients for mandarin maple and date muffins
- 4 mandarins peeled (seedless will be best)
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Cup Maple syrup
- 1/3 Cup Olive oil
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup Bran
- 1/2 Cup chopped dates
- Mandarin segments for decoration
How to make mandarin maple and date muffins
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a food processor and whizz
- In a separate bowl, sift flour and baking powder
- Add bran, mix
- Pour in liquid ingredients, mix gently until just combined
- Gently stir in the chopped dates
- Spoon into greased muffin trays (This mix made 12 muffins using a 1/4 Cup pan)
- Top with a mandarin segment
- Bake at 180 degrees celsius for 15-30 mins (It will be dependent on the size of the muffins.) Muffins are cooked when they spring back when you press them gently in the centre
A big thank you to Twisted Citrus who provided me with my Mandarinspiraton!