This little recipe has turned out to be one of the most popular on my website. My kids love these carrot cake oat cakes and I love them too. They are easy to make, they freeze, they are great in lunch boxes so they tick so many boxes for me! Sweetened only with grated apple and carrot yet still loved by my kids.
I’ve been making them since my youngest was around 6mths old, They are brilliant for baby led weaning and as a first finger food. He is now coming up five and these are still a favourite breakfast and lunchbox filler. You can freeze them and pop them in a lunchbox, they defrost and are great!
I love making mini pancakes with oats, I find that kids love them, and I love giving my kids oats as it is such a sustaining energy source and packed full of gentle fibre. This carrot cake oat cake recipe is just one of the oat based mini pancakes on my site. Other recipes to check out include wheat free pumpkin pancakes, mini pea pancakes and my kids absolute favourite banana oat pikelets. All of these recipes are added sugar-free and the first two contain veggies as well!
Carrot Cake Oat Cakes
Yield 12 mini pancakes
- 1 egg
- ½ Cup wholemeal flour
- ½ Cup rolled oats
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Milk (½-1 Cup)
- 1 apple grated
- 1 carrot grated
- Whisk egg
- Add dry ingredients (I sort of sprinkle them in, but don't bother sifting them), whisk/mix
- Add ½ Cup of milk, mix
- Add carrot and apple
- If needed add more milk if the batter is too dry
- Heat a pan with a small amount of your fat/oil preference (butter, rice bran oil, coconut oil etc)
- Drop in spoonfuls of the batter. Cook until small bubbles pop on the surface, flip over and cook other side
- Substitutions for wholemeal flour (substitute with standard, rice, spelt or gluten free flour if you want)
Courses Snack, Breakfast