These air fryer smashed potatoes are soft and fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside and will undoubtedly be a total hit with your family
Why This Recipe Works
- Made entirely in the air fryer
- Easy to make with simple ingredients
- A delicious way for kids to enjoy whole potatoes, skin and all
Ingredients you will need
To make crispy smashed potatoes in your air fryer you will need
- olive oil
- parsley (optional)
Ingredient Notes and Substitutes
- Potatoes: I like to use small floury/roasting potatoes, ones with golden flesh like: Agria, Vivaldi, Maris Piper, and King Edward (The variety you choose will depend on where in the world you are from)
- Butter: I love the taste butter adds to potatoes, but you can skip this and just use olive oil.
- Parsley: This is totally optional!
- Other flavourings you could add: Rosemary, Dried Mixed Herbs, Paprika, Garlic Powder, anything you enjoy with potatoes really.
I am an ambassador for Countdown supermarket, they support my blog by providing ingredients for recipe creation and testing. I used olive oil, butter, and parsley flakes from their range in this recipe.
How to make smashed potatoes in an air fryer
Below are illustrated step-by-step instructions to make my Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes, if you prefer just the written instructions then head straight to the printable recipe card below.
Prep: Preheat your air fryer to 200 degrees Celsius (400 Fahrenheit). Wash and dry 400 grams of small potatoes.
Step one: Add the clean potatoes to your pre-heated air-fryer and air fry for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
Step two: Remove the cooked potatoes from the air fryer, and place them on a flat board or tray. Use a potato masher, large fork or the base of a heavy flat-bottomed glass to smash the potatoes.
Step three: Return the smashed potatoes to the air fryer basket, brush or drizzle the potatoes with both the butter and olive oil then season with a sprinkle of salt.
Step four: Air fry the smashed potatoes for a further 25-30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (360 Fahrenheit). Or until crispy.
Step five: Sprinkle with a little parsley then serve!
Here is how you can make these smashed perfectly every time!
- When you flatten the potatoes how thick to squash them is up to you! The thinner the crunchier the smashed potatoes will be the thicker the more fluffy inside you will have, both are delicious options!
- You can totally make this recipe with large potatoes, the first cooking time will be longer as it will take more time for a large potato to cook right through.
- I find that dropping the temperature in the air fryer for the second round of cooking results in a crunchier smashed potato. You can cook the potatoes for a little bit longer without burning them, the extra cooking time drys them out a bit more and results in a crunchy potato.
What to serve with your smashed potatoes?
These crunchy potatoes are perfect for dipping! Try them with:
- Sriracha aioli
- Avocado aioli
- Homemade mayonnaise
- Kiwi onion dip
- Pea pesto
- Oh, and of course, humble old tomato sauce is perfect too!
Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- 1 Air Fryer
- 400 grams potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Preheat your air fryer to 200 degrees Celsius (400 Fahrenheit)
- Wash and dry 400 grams of small potatoes
- Add the clean potatoes to the preheated air fryer and air fry for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove the cooked potatoes from the air fryer, and place them on a flat board or tray. Use a potato masher, large fork or the base of a heavy flat-bottomed glass to smash the potatoes.
- Return the smashed potatoes to the air fryer, brush or drizzle the potatoes with the butter and olive oil and season with a sprinkle of salt.
- Air fry the smashed potatoes for a further 25-30 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius (360 Fahrenheit). Or until crispy.
- Sprinkle with a little parsley then serve!