Hello and welcome to chicken miso soup the first recipe in my new category 5-minute meals.
This category has come about because of feedback from readers and particularly those who watch my Instagram story.
I am big on creating quick healthy meals for myself while my kids’ nap. A quick meal made just for me that is healthy, loaded with veggies and gives me a chance to do something nice for me.
But this meal has to fit into the schedule of a busy mum, this means these recipes need to involve 5 minutes or less in the kitchen. Because although I LOVE cooking I do not want to spend my kids’ precious nap times in the kitchen. There are other things I like to get done too!
This 5-minute meal of chicken miso soup is something I make often. I’ll have a bowl while the kids’ nap, then they can have some when they wake up or come home from school
To make this 5-minute chicken miso soup recipe you will, of course, need miso paste. Not to worry miso paste is readily available in supermarkets and stores for ages in the fridge, so it’s a great staple to have on hand.
I have made this 5-minute miso soup with chicken, mushroom, zucchini, and spinach, but you can totally substitute any meat, seafood or tofu if you prefer, and any veggie and it will work too!
Meal prep for 5 minute meals – chicken miso soup
There is one secret meal prep trick you need for this meal for it to be a 5-minute meal. You need to have chicken that is already sliced.
Obviously, you could buy pre-sliced meat, but this can be more expensive. My trick, when I’m preparing a dinner meal that requires meat I slice some extra and store it in 100-150g portions in the fridge or freezer so that I have the meat all ready to go for recipes like this.
My other tip, is I often pop the water on to boil as I take the kiddos to their bedroom for naptime, if you do this, please set a timer to remind you! Or use a jug/kettle and just transfer to a saucepan when you are in the kitchen ready to start
I have another quick soup on my website your family might like, my Asian chicken noodle soup is always a family favourite.
- 2 cups water (500ml)
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1 slice ginger (optional)
- 120g thinly sliced skinless chicken breast
- 1 small zucchini sliced
- 1-2 mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tbsp white miso paste
- 1 handful spinach leaves
- Put the water on to boil (a lid will mean it will boil faster, adding the ginger and garlic if you have chosen to use them
- While the water is coming to the boil prepare the meat and vegetables
- Once water is boiling add thinly sliced chicken and simmer for 3 mins (stir to ensure it does not stick together)
- Add the zucchini and mushrooms, simmer for 2 mins
- Stir in the miso paste
- Stir in the spinach leaves, they will wilt in a few seconds
- Ginger and garlic optional
- Will work with any finely sliced meat or seafood or tofu
- You can use other veggies, green beans, Chinese broccoli, bok choy or broccoli for example
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1 Bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 134Total Fat: 3.1gSaturated Fat: 0.4gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 95.2mgCarbohydrates: 8.5gSugar: 0.9gProtein: 19g
please note the nutritional information provided is an estimate based on ingredients, this recipe has not been analysed externally for nutritional profile.