Tofu is such an easy and economical protein to work with. I always have so many people asking about good Tofu recipes for kids and families that I thought I would put together a curated list of easy tofu recipes.
Why Tofu is awesome for kids
- Protein-packed and contains nutrients important for growing bodies (calcium, iron).
- Plant-based eating a plant-based diet has been shown to have health benefits: heart disease, diabetes, and high blood pressure
- Economical, tofu isn’t expensive, so once you have learned interesting ways to cook it you will be onto a winner!
Plant-based diets for kids
I love the way Lisa Patel, MD, FAAP and Amanda Millstein, MD, FAAP describe eating a plant-based diet.
“It does not necessarily mean you stop eating all meat or dairy products. It means that the majority of your food comes from plant-based sources such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes, beans, and grains.”
Their guidelines for a healthy plant-based diet include:
- Make at least half of your plate vegetables at lunch and dinner, choosing vegetables that are a variety of colors. Also aim to eat green leafy vegetables at least once per day.
- Eat smaller amounts of meat or eliminate meat altogether from 1-2 meals per week for your family. Plant-based protein options that can create a filling meal include beans, tofu, lentils, and nuts.
- Choose healthy fats, which can be found in nuts, seeds, avocado, olives, and olive oils.
Serving Tofu to your kids fits well with these guidelines.