- 4 medium apples
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 500 g pork sausages 6 sausages
- 2-3 handfuls baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 400g Canned Chickpeas
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius (400 F).
Core the apples and cut into wedges, approx. 1.5-2cm thick.
Cut the sweet potatoes into batons a similar to the apples (you can choose to peel the vegetables or leave them as is.
Pop apple and veggies into a roasting pan and toss with oil (you can season at this stage if you wish, however I often find the pork sausages add lots of flavour during cooking so it might pay to wait)
Optional (drain and rinse the canned chick peas, add to the roasting pan and toss with the other vegetables so they are also oiled.
Slice the pork sausages in half and add to the roasting pan.
Bake at 200 degrees celsius for 35 minutes
At 35 minutes give the roasting pan a good stir to free up any stuck veggies and add the spinach leaves
Bake for a further 5 minutes (so they start to wilt)
Remove from the oven. Season with salt and pepper as needed and serve
- Go large: You will need a large roasting tray for this recipe, if you over crowd the tray the veggies will not cook as quickly (which is fine you will just need to cook the dish longer, but you may need to check the sausages as they may over cook)
- Good quality: This recipe is more flavourful if you use better quality the sausages.
- Starchy Sweet Potatoes: I use a purple/red -skinned sweet potato for this recipe. New Zealand we call it Kumara, it is a little drier and starchier than the orange or golden sweet potato so I find it great in this recipe as it holds its shape and roasts so well. But any sweet potato will be fine.
- Carrots & Sweet Potato: Any root vegetables will work, but I do find the sweeter veggies like sweet potato and carrots are the best with the pork sausages.
- Pork Sausages: Any sausages will work
- Cauliflower: Not listed as an ingredient, but when it is in season, I often chop some up and add it to the tray too.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 447kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 60mg | Sodium: 754mg | Potassium: 738mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 13592IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 65mg | Iron: 2mg
Check out mykidslickthebowl.com for more!