- 120 g banana 1 medium
- 140 g unsweetened apple sauce ½ cup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
- 100 g rolled oats
- 70 g flour ½ cup
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 30 g melted butter
Blend the apple sauce, banana, chia seeds and vanilla essence together.
In a mixing bowl put the dry ingredients, oats, flour, cinnamon and baking powder. Combine these together by whisking them.
Add the blended wet ingredients and melted butter to the dry ingredients, stir to combine. The dough will be quite wet at this stage. Refrigerate the cookie dough for 10-20 mins. This chilling time gives the chia seeds time to gel and the butter time to cool and harden making the dough easier to work with.
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius (360 Fahrenheit)
Scoop the cookie dough into balls, place them on a baking paper-lined tray, and flatten gently with the back of a spoon.
Bake for 10 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on a wire racks.
- Be careful not to overbake these cookies, if they are overcooked they become very hard.
- This is quite a wet cookie dough, using a wet spoon and damp hands will stop the dough from sticking and make it easier to deal with. Also, the resting time in the fridge will help the cookie dough become easier to handle.
- These cookies will last up to 4 days in an airtight container on the bench, they will freeze for up to 4 months.
Ingredients notes and substitutes
- Butter: can be substituted for coconut oil or melted margarine.
- Flour: This can be substituted for a gluten-free flour
- Quick cook oats: In this recipe I find the quick cook oats give a softer cookie, you can use traditional rolled oats but the cookie will be tougher for young children to chew.
- Chia seeds: These can be substituted for flaxseed or an egg.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 91kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 19mg | Potassium: 87mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 73IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 1mg
Check out mykidslickthebowl.com for more!