- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 83 ml oil One third of a cup, 83ml
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
Heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius and line or grease a muffin tin (I have used a silicone reusable muffin tin when testing this recipe)
In a medium sized bowl mix the applesauce and oil together (I use a whisk for this)
Add the remaining ingredients, I sprinkle the baking powder around as I'm too lazy to sift!
Mix with a wooden spoon until just combined
Portion into prepared muffin tin
Bake at 180 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes
- If you find these muffins too dense or chewy for your little one, try making them with quick-cook oats rather than traditional rolled oats.
- These muffins will freeze, they defrost well if packed in a lunch or snack box in the morning to eat later in the day.
- These muffins will last for 2-3 days in an airtight container, but as stated above do freeze well.
Rolled oats: I have not tested this recipe with an ingredient other than oats, although I do typically use quick oats as these result in a softer muffin texture.
Mild olive oil: My preferred oil for baking is a mild olive oil. Extra virgin olive oil will be too strongly flavoured in this recipe. Any mild oil will be fine in this recipe.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 128mg | Potassium: 63mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 8IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 1mg