- 3 cups feijoa flesh approximately 25-30 feijoas.
- 1 tablespoon honey 15ml
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence 5ml
- 75 g butter plus a little extra for greasing
- 2 cups rolled oats 200g
- ¼ cup brown sugar 50g
- ¼ cup plain flour 40g
- ½ cup almonds 75g
Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
Grease an oven proof dish with a little butter.
Roughly chop approximately 2-3 cups of feijoa flesh and pop it in the bottom of the greased oven proof dish.
Add vanilla and honey to the fruit and mix through.
In a food processor place the oats, almonds, flour, brown sugar and butter, blitz until you have a nice crumbly topping.
Top the fruit with the crumble topping, bake for approximately 20 mins until the feijoa crumble is golden and crunchy.
Serve with a little vanilla ice cream, cream, yoghurt or custard.
- Don't skip greasing the baking dish with a little butter before adding the fruit. This isn't so much to stop the fruit sticking, what it does is create caramelised fruit juices, the combination of the fruit, butter, and a little honey adds yummy caramel flavours to the crumble.
- Cook the crumble in the middle of the oven, don't use the top racks, otherwise, the crumble topping can cook more quickly than the fruit.
- Honey: the honey can be substituted for maple syrup or a little sugar.
- Feijoas: As this is a feijoa crumble I'd advise using at least some feijoas, but you can definitely combine the feijoas with stewed apples if you don't have quite enough feijoas.
- Butter: This recipe will work with dairy-free margarine or coconut oil.
- Flour: This can be substituted for any gluten-free flour if needed.
- Brown sugar: This can be substituted for any granulated sugar.
- Almonds: I love to add nuts to my crumble, I like the little bit of extra plant-based nutrition they add, you can sub them for any nuts, or leave them out if you wish.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 16mg | Potassium: 321mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 21IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 67mg | Iron: 2mg
Check out mykidslickthebowl.com for more!