- 1 ½ Cup full fat milk 375 ml
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa Heaped Tablespoons, 15g
- 2 candy canes
- ¼ Cup Dark chocolate chips 50g
- ½ Cup Cream 125 ml
In a saucepan heat the milk and cocoa, use a whisk to ensure the cocoa dissolves into the milk, as the milk heats the cocoa will dissolve more easily
Add the candy canes, I break these into smaller pieces but don't crush them entirely, simmer over a low heat until the candy canes are melted. This took around 8 minutes. Stir occasionally as the partially melted candy canes do stick to the bottom of the pot occasionally, they release easily with a quick stir.
Once the candy canes have dissolved add the chocolate chips, stir until meltedTurn off the heat and stir through the cream
Pour into mugs to serve.
- I get 3 child-sized portions (160ml, two-thirds of a cup) or 2 adult portions (250ml, 1 metric cup) from this recipe so scale it up if you need to.
- Don't skip the cream, it really does make these hot chocolates super special, giving them a wonderful mouthfeel.
- This hot chocolate is definitely not just for kids. It is a divine alternative to a dessert at the end of a meal for adults, an after-dinner mint in a mug!
- If you do not have candy canes you can substitute with peppermint essence 0.25-0.5 of a teaspoon. Peppermint essence is different from peppermint essential oils, essential oils should not be ingested. If you do not have candy canes to hand then a peppermint essence will work well.
Serving: 160ml | Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 83mg | Potassium: 332mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 775IU | Calcium: 209mg | Iron: 1mg