Gluten Free Pumpkin Seed Crusted Chicken Kebabs
Over the past month or so I have been on a mission to get my family and my kids eating more seeds. Well both nuts and seeds really. 30g of Nuts and Seeds a day (a small handful) bring so many health benefits. The reason I have gone more down the seed route lately is because of 2 reasons.
Why I am trying to cook with more seeds?
1. Nut Allergy
Nut allergy and the subsequent nut free policies schools and day cares have, has made me look more towards seeds.
Seeds are often cheaper than nuts and pack just as much of a nutrition punch. If you are interested in the nut vs. seed comparison, then read all about it here.
But on with the recipe!
Nuts and seeds can make an awesome crunchy coating/crumb for chicken and fish. This recipe has been tested a number of times and has the stamp of approval from my kids (15 mths, 2.5yrs and coming up 4 yrs) my husband and me.
- 300-500g boneless chicken, sliced into thin strips
- 1 Cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas),
- 1/4 Cup grated hard cheese i.e. Parmesan (hard cheddar works fine too, I’ve used a standard supermarket block of Tasty Cheddar and it has been fine)
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Mixed herbs
- 1/2 Cup Flour (I like using rice flour in this recipe as it is so fine and light, but any will do, it’s just for dusting the meat)
- 2 Eggs whisked
- 1-2 TBSP Oil
- Salt and Pepper as needed
- Bamboo Skewers
- Thread the chicken strips on to bamboo skewers
- Add the seeds, cheese and herbs/spices to a food processor. Whizz until you achieve an even crumb
- Set up your crumbing station. Spread the flour on a large flat dish or plate. Pour the whisked eggs into a low flat dish that you can easily lie the skewers in. Spread the seed crumb on a large flat dish or plate
- First flour the chicken kebabs, then egg, then the crumb (the great thing about the skewers is your fingers don’t get all gunky!)
- In a large pan heat the oil, medium heat.
- Cook the kebabs in batches, turning them after 5 mins on each side, they should go a lovely golden colour
- My kids love dipping them into my GUACAMOLE HEALTHY DIP. It has sneaky hidden cucumber so a winner on all accounts!
- A veggie skewer makes a nice side too
Do your kids like kebabs?