Confession one, these feijoa apple, and Weetbix muffins are not the most visually appealing. But I’m ok with that. My kiddos like them, they are easy to make and that makes them a winner in my book, even if they aren’t that pretty!
Confession two, can you even be a kiwi if you aren’t a huge fan of feijoas? I don’t mind them in baking, such as in these feijoa apple and Weetbix muffins or in my feijoa and almond loaf, but I don’t really enjoy eating them by the spoonful.
I find them a little too fragrant, a little too “perfumy”. My middle daughter, however, is a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of this fruit. It’s a little strange as she is my pickiest eater, yet LOVES LOVES LOVES the taste, texture and everything about feijoas!
In this recipe I use applesauce, you can either make your own or if you are under time pressure, (like I sometimes I am) keeping a jar of unsweetened applesauce in the cupboard can speed up the process!
These feijoa muffins made with Weetbix are a perfect way to use up any Weetbix in the cupboard making a great snack, breakfast or lunchbox filler. They are pretty darn low in added sugar with most of the sweetness coming from fruit, but still kid approved!
If you are on a hunt for other recipes to use up your Weetbix, Wheat Biscuits or Weetabix then be sure to check out my No-Bake-Chocolate Weetbix Slice or my 3 Ingredient Apricot Weetbix Slice Or if low sugar muffins are what you are after, then I have got a heap, here are 7 low sugar muffins for kids to get you started.
Previously on My Kids Lick The Bowl
- One week ago: easy peanut butter cookies
- One month ago: no-bake energy bites – apricot choc and chia
- Three months ago: apple oat pancakes
- Six months ago: my ultimate hidden vegetable lasagne
- One Year ago: butternut pumpkin baked risotto
- Two Years ago: healthy macaroni and cheese
Feijoa Apple & Weetbix Muffins
Yield 10 muffins
Feijoa Apple and Weetbix Muffins, an easy low sugar muffin recipe perfect for kids such a New Zealand recipe using both feijoa and weetbix or weetabix
- 5 Weetbix crushed
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 100g feijoa flesh (approx 4 medium Feijoa)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- Heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Prepare a muffin tin, I either bake this in a greases silicon muffin tray or I use paper liners in a traditional muffin tray
- You will need 2 mixing bowls
- In the first mixing bowl, mix the crushed Weetbix, flour and baking powder together, set aside
- In the second mixing bowl, scoop out the feijoa and mash with a fork, add the applesauce, maple syrup and egg and whisk with the fork
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix gently with a wooden spoon
- Scoop into the muffin trays
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, the muffins should spring back when you press on them when they are cooked
Weetbix is the brand name of a popular breakfast cereal in New Zealand, Wheat Biscuits and Weetabix are the same sort of cereal and can be substituted